Monday, December 06, 2004

Office-cial Christmas Party


Saturday I went to the office Christmas party. It was at the Moonshine Grill. One of the investors that was there owns the property the restaurant is on and he built, what wine connoisseurs have declared, by far the best wine cellar in Texas. He gave us all a tour of it, and it was gorgeous, with mahogany wood and a cast iron door. There was a bottle of wine down there valued at $9,700 whose label was designed by Andy Warhol. He personally selected all the wines that went with our meal, and I got smashingly smashed. Well, smashed is an exaggeration, but I was definitely in no state to drive, and it was great fun. I had Molasses & Chile Cured Pork Chop with Brandy Apple Sauce. So good! Going there isn't any more expensive than Outback Steakhouse, so I'd love to go back and try some of the other food.

I wore a fabulous dress, too. Unfortunately, this less than flattering vanity shot is the only picture I managed to take, since I left the camera in the car and valet drove it away. Trust me. It was fabulous.

After dinner there was a White Elephant gift exchange. There was theft, conspiracy, and betrayal, and with everyone plied up with alcohol lots of cheering and booing. Nick and I both ended up with some good stuff. He brought home a pancake maker, which turned out to be a disaster during breakfast the next day. I had pancake batter drenching the stove. Nick said it looked like a pancake had exploded. I should scour the kitchen for pancake shrapnel in the walls. I think I simply over filled the damn thing.

3 comments:

bava said...

You look smashingly smashing. Very cool dress.

Speaking of expensive wine, when I was staying with a host family in Rennes they showed me their secret wine cellar (hidden, really! behind a fake wall in their closet downstairs), in which they had multiple bottles of wine they claimed to be worth over 100,000 francs (a good $20,000 a bottle, or so). But none of them had labels designed by Andy Warhol, so who cares how much they were worth, right?

So Nick absconded with a pancake maker; what did you pilfer?

Eve L said...

A set of dominos, A variety of chapstick (including one I actually use), and a stuffed animal gingerbread man. I ended up trading Nick's dad the gingerbread man for a set of thermoses and travel mugs.

under the red sky said...

I agree...very cool dress!