Tuesday, September 14, 2004

When it Rains, it Pours

I had to run a few errands for work, and it's beautiful out today (though decidedly humid.) It's one of those days where the birds are chirping, the sun is shining, the sky is a saturated blue, and fluffy little white clouds graze like sheep in the heavens. Beautiful... except for one very large and very angry thundercloud that storms in (ha ha) and envelopes the entire area with a grey landscape of pounding rain.

Driving out of the torrent, the bleak roads became iced purple as the sky reflected off the wet pavement, grass and trees seemed a more vibrant green, and in the distance, a quartet of SUVs crossed the intersection on a hill, looking very much like a caravan of camels on the dunes at sunrise.

And me without my camera.

Speaking of torrential down-pours, the second time I drove myself to work after getting my driver's license, it started pouring. I'd never driven in the rain before, and it came down so hard and quickly that I couldn't see a thing. I had no idea how to turn on my windshield wipers; I did know how to use turn on the wiper fluid. As I slugged along the highway at 30mph I would periodically squirt my sopping windshield with washer fluid so my wipers would kick in for two seconds.

No comments: