Monday, September 27, 2004

Hello, Chuck


Friday I went to a book signing by Chuck Palahnuik (and accidentally took a picture of some people making out. Awesome!) There were so many scenesters that I finally understand why people who are really into music get pissy about everyone liking the one same band. I'm sure fully half of the people there only read his book because that's what's trendy.

There are so many good books out there, but some people aren't bothering to find out what they like, and are just reading what they want to be seen reading. For those that genuinely like Chuck Palahnuik, that's fantastic, and I'm glad they've found something they like. For everyone else: Why the hell does it matter?

I probably sound like a hypocrite for just being there, so let me explain. I've never read any of his stuff. It just so happens I like books...allot...in a very general all-encompassing sort of way. I like to read them, I like to admire their covers, I like the way they look on my bookshelves, and if they're signed, that's awfully nice, too. This gets set up, sitting pretty, with the rest of my collection. I'll probably pick up a reading copy and check him out, now.

Check out the picture I took with Chuck Palahnuik! I look horrible, but I like it anyway because I look like a monumental dork? Ok!

No comments: