Monday, April 11, 2005

Ready! Aim! Fired!

Long time no see. I've been gone sulking. I was laid off last week, and while there are more positives to it than negatives, being let go was a bruise to my ego. What you are about to see is a rapid fire posting of entries. I like my updates in nice little categories, so a lump update is a 'no.'

Fantastic things about being laid off:
* My former employer has promised me glowing recommendation for when I apply to grad school, as well as when I apply for my next job.
* Pretty much gauranteed to be paid more, as I will not apply to another start-up.
* I actually know what I want to do at my job now that I've had a chance to try things out.
* Severence pay = paid vacation.
* Agreeing to be a consultant = free copies of Adobe Illustrator 10, and Paint Shop Pro.
* I will likely get a larger budget for my work and use a professional printer more, instead of printing most everything myself.

The downside to all of this is that I just don't have a job or a paycheck, and frankly... job searching blows.

2 comments:

Caryn said...

That stinks, I'm so sorry. I've been laid off. Twice. I know your pain.

bava said...

Having listed the upsides, I'm torn whether to offer you condolences or congratulations, so perhaps I'll just leave a bit of both, and you can nibble on whichever you have a hankering for. Good luck finding a better job! In the meantime, enjoy your paid vacation :)