Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Sushi from Saturday


Two years ago I went to Tokyo with Nick during New Years, and we took the Shinkansen to Omagari, or Kakumagawa (I can't remember which... Somewhere in the Akita region) to visit his grandparents. They took us out to a very nice hotel for a traditional New Years meal. There were tons and tons of mini courses, and they were all gorgeous. His grandparents kept taking pictures of the food, because it was so nice, as well as us. (They say I hold my chopsticks very well). There were so many courses that towards the end, when they started to serve desserts, we would all stand up to leave, thinking we were done, and the waitress would rush come out with more.

Nick's Japanese was pretty rusty, and his grandparents didn't speak English, so it was kind of hard to communicate, but they told us about their very very old and senile cat, whose name is Mustache in Japanese, and they showed us wedding pictures of Nick's parents, with Nick's mom wearing a kimono. His grandmother cried when we left, and she hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I was really glad we went up there for the night, even though we couldn't talk to each other very well, because his grandparents were so sweet, and happy to see us.

1 comment:

bava said...

mmmmmmmm ... sushi.
That's a nice story.

ps. i have internet access again :)